Saturday, June 30, 2012

Quick Like a Bunny!!

Did you know: A chocolate latte has a special name... it's called a mocha! :) The barista taught me that one today, I like it.

Unfortunately, while I remembered to tell the nice lady that I wanted a latte, rice milk, and a shot o' chocolate, I neglected to tell her that I wanted it iced... (it's ninety-freakin'-seven degrees outside & humid, I forgot such a thing as hot drinks were permitted in such circumstances!) Soooo.... Yeah, I didn't remember until I saw her creating an awesome feather on top of my steaming hot mocha that was being served in a mug instead of in the tall glass I was expecting... my face fell, because the concoction she had, well, concocted... looked amazing and extremely tasty... and hot. I think my distress was evident, because she knew something was up. I confessed my folly, and she insisted on making me another, iced, mocha for free. Then she insisted that I take both drinks, because I needed to experience the fantabulousness that was both the hot & the iced mochas.

So I did, and both mochas were phenomenal. ("Duh", the barista just told me...) Have I mentioned how much I love this place? I love it here!

Something I've been meaning to write about for a while, but never seemed to remember when sitting in front of the lappy before: there is an irony I've found in human nature that needs to be remarked upon. Actually, there's lots of them, but there's one in particular that has amused me for a few weeks now.

At my dayjob we deal with a lot of personal information gathered from complete strangers in order that we might send them the pillows they so ardently desire. Some of the personal information we collect is as follows:
First and last names.
Email addresses.
Phone numbers
Street addresses
Cities of residence
States of residence (or provinces for our Canadian customers)
Zip (postal) codes
Type of credit/debit cards
Credit/debit numbers
"" Expiration dates
Card Verification numbers

Now, of all of the above, which would you feel the most edgy about telling a complete stranger whose face you've never seen?

Oddly enough, it usually isn't any of the last four items listed above.

Would you believe that the most often refused piece of information I encounter is the email address??? Second is the phone number, and then comes the people who get tetchy about sharing their credit information.

People are more wary of spam than they are of being robbed blind.

Seriously?! Come on, priorities people!!! I have had to talk to possibly ten times more people about the company's no-spamming policy than I have about the security measures we have in place to safe-guard the credit card information people give us.

Not that any of the information our customers give us isn't safe, but honestly... It's disturbing to realize how trusting people are with their moneys, who are deeply mistrustful with their email accounts.

Email is free, folks. It takes little to no time to change that.

Oh psychology. We are more afraid of inconvenience than of losing our identity. Who knew?

One more thing, then I hafta close up shop... since the Boiler Room is about to do the same.

I have an ATM from my bank that is a mere 5 minutes' walk away!!!! It's in a CVS, and I stumbled onto it by pure accident.

I love living in the city!!!! :D

And I think the two mochas' worth of caffeine is beginning to make itself felt... I should go consume something...

Later folks! Tell a stranger they're beautiful, you just might make their day. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment