Monday, April 15, 2013

Listiness

First off though...

#4 Things I Love About My Husband: The way he is around kids. Mind you, I'm not exactly a huge fan of children. In small quantities they're okay, but you get more than 3-5 of them around, and I start looking for an escape route. They just get me all nervous and edgy, y'know? You think "mob mentality" is bad, the kids' version is terrifying! I mean, have you READ "Lord of the Flies"?! But Husband, he's amazing. As soon as we walk into church every person under 16 is swarming him, getting hugs, high-fives, fist-bumps, and love in whatever form they understand it best in. Because that's what he does--he meets each child at their level and shows them how much he loves them in a way they understand immediately. And it's truly breathtaking to watch him as he does this.

Now, what was it I said I was going to do last time I was here? Ah yes, a List. I don't usually do lists on here... as a rule, I'm not usually capable of sticking with a list long enough to finish writing it... and to-do lists are the bane of my productivity! I expend so much constructiveness in creating the list that I have none left to accomplish the tasks that are ON the list! But, it's a brand new day ("and the sun is high, all the birds are singin'--" anyone? anyone? If you know what I'm singing you are officially awesome!), so here it is:

102 Wonderful, Crazy, Confusing Things From the Last Year (not necessarily in order of any kind)

1. Signed a lease for the first time--and could afford to do it on my own with no co-sign! Woot!
2. Moved into my first apartment. No roommate, just moi.
3. Had a long-distance romance with an amazing man...
4. Was proposed to by that amazing man...
5. And married him. :)
6. Planned a wedding.
7. Quit my job.
8. My car got towed...
9. Ransomed my car back!
10. Moved in with my Awesome Stister & her family.
11. Had to buy out my lease.
12. Gained a whole new appreciation for stars.
13. Saw a guy sitting in a recliner in an empty lot in the middle of the city... he was reading a book.
14. Got a Minnesota drivers' licence (still can't spell "licence" without spellcheck though...)
15. Acted in a spectacular production of "The Hobbit".
16. Learned how to flamenco.
17. Was part of a dragon (the intestines, to be exact).
18. Had a director call me and ask me to audition for his show.
19. Had to turn down a requested audition... because I was already in a show! ;)
20. Waged war against bed-bugs--and won!
21. Pet a lonely cat... won't do that again in a hurry, see 20.
22. Lived with a very cheeky mouse, in spite of 21.
23. Was serenaded by a Mormon and his wife.
24. Survived a Minnesota summer without an air conditioner.
25. Ditched my microwave and learned to cook without one.
26. Learned to cook. Ish. ;)
27. Got a new job.
28. Finally learned how to use Adobe.
29. Lost the Game. A lot. (You just did too! ;D )
30. Turned a quarter of a century old.
31. Found out that it's not as terrible as I was afraid it would be.
32. Made friends with a neurotic German shepherd.
33. Kept the bamboo alive!
34. Unpacked almost all the way... once.
35. Got rid of all my paints.
36. Saw all my paints replaced, by Wonderful Husband.
37. Said goodbye to Minneapolis.
38. Said goodbye to Minnesota winters. ;)
39. Bought my first pair of character shoes--for far cheaper than I thought!
40. Tried on wedding dresses.
41. Lost something forever, and glad to see it go!
42. Stayed at a Bed&Breakfast.
43. Saw Superman.
44. Tried to kill Beorn... several times, without success.
45. Survived the major battle!
46. Had several epiphanies.
47. Ran around barefoot.
48. Ran on all fours.
49. Got in a fight with an African Wild Dog... and won.
50. Learned how to Suzuki.
51. Got angry at a clown and wrecked his world... several times, without remorse.
52. Bought a bridesmaid's dress.... and it's purple.
53. Moved in with a guy... who's my husband... ;D
54. Cried, several times for several reasons... and sometimes for no reason at all.
55. Laughed, a lot, several times for several reasons... and often for the best reasons in the world.
56. Reconnected with wonderful friends that I had not seen in far too long.
57. Saw "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat" for the first time.
58. Saw my Freshmen again... they're graduating this year!?
59. Re-prioritized.
60. Learned how to grow Sweet Potatoes in Minnesota (from a guy with one eye and four teeth).
61. Became a regular customer at a coffee-shop.
62. Performed in my first Fringe Festival.
63. Became a regular customer at 2 different Jimmy Johns.
64. Moved to a place Jimmy Johns won't deliver.
65. Sat outside and soaked up the sunshine.
66. Was hit on by several creepers... and gleefully used the out of "I have a Boyfriend/Fiancee/Husband." ;D
67. Read several good books.
68. Saw several good shows.
69. Met a friend's baby for the first time.
70. Danced at my wedding.
71. Went car-shopping with a friend.
72. Paid my own electric bill.
73. Kept my electric bill under $25 each month! See 24 & 25
74. Voted in a Presidential Election.
75. Changed my Facebook relationship status... among other things.
76. Acquired a wonderful & loving set of in-laws.
77. Bought new jeans!
78. Found my Home.
79. Started Thanksgiving with Strangers, ended it among Family.
80. Won Nana's approval.
81. Visited Louisiana for the first time.
82. Played over 75 hours of Skyrim... I am the DragonBorn!!
83. Played songs from Star Trek, Skyrim, and LOTR in my wedding... ;)
84. Flew an RC helicopter... and liked it.
85. Got a "real dayjob".
86. Learned what "the Mondays" are... see 85.
87. Rediscovered some stories I thought were lost.
88. Got 2 library cards in 2 different states.
89. Had the library card from the state I'm living in de-activated.
90. Sent out a lot of mail (and will be sending out more!)
91. Learned how loved I truly am, by so many truly lovely people.
92. Drove a U-Haul truck for the first time... with a car trailer behind it.
93. Only made Mum scream once... see 92 ;)
94. Danced in the middle of my living room.
95. Was scared out of bed by a pigeon.
96. Dropped my phone in the toilet... twice.
97. Had to replace my phone once... see 96
98. Learned the hard way not to name cellular devices after the Celtic goddess of fire.
99. Rekindled the passion for writing.
100. Got some new jewelry... see 4 and 5.
101. Changed direction, several times.
102. Dreamt brand new dreams.

No regrets. Not "no bad decisions", just "no regrets". I hope to look back on this span of time and be able to say that. It's not something that includes the flipping of a switch though. The longer I look, the more I think that "no regrets" is more of a process than anything else.

Why bother regretting what I cannot change? What might actually be the catalyst that causes something beautiful and new. If I regret that choice, I might forget to learn from it, and miss out on the opportunities being presented in the here and now.

It's been quite the year.

4 comments:

  1. I particularly love that you kept the bamboo alive! :-)
    Now I feel like making a huge list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Speaking of, I need to water that when I get home today... & you should! It made me feel hugely accomplished! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cannot leave the song phrase un-ended! "...that you're gonna die!"

    Also, yes, I want to make a huge list now.

    And I like your writing, how have I not read your blog before??

    Excuse me, I'm off to add to my own list. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! You finished it! :) And thank you, have fun with your own listiness :)

      Delete