Monday, January 31, 2011

WARNING: Children left Unattended Will Be Sold to the Circus

So much to write about & so little time! Ah! This is what happens when I get sick & don't make it out of the house for a week. :P

First off: So this week is kind of a personal "Survivor" for me, & I thought of possibly making a mini-series in this blog to document. See, the folks went to Minnesota to a) visit family & b) go to job interviews!(Yeah, go Dad!). For the better part of the week that means it's just me and the dog, and the dog's not allowed to cook.

That's right, I'm gonna be cookin'. Mind you, my experiential knowledge of this artform is limited mostly to baking & the very basic things... like boiling water. But my theoretical knowledge is vast & lofty! ... ish. So this week is essentially my shot to put all that theory to the test & see how I do.

In planning I realized most of what I was menu-ing was fried stuff. Y'know: eggs, fried lunchmeats, mushrooms... the like. It should be interesting.

But so far I've been eating at other people's places or demolishing the leftovers that will go bad otherwise. I'll try to keep you updated though... should be interesting.

Second thing to write about: I have found a magical charm to keep me from growing up!! Here it is:

"Know all the Questions, but not the Answers
Look for the Different, instead of the Same
Never Walk where there's room for Running
Don't do anything that can't be a Game"

I think I need to frame this & hang it up somewhere conspicuous.

I rediscovered this magic formulae in a book that was published in 1886, copyrighted in 1970. Written by Zilpha Keatley Snyder (another amazing name for an author!), "The Changeling" was my Mum's favorite book, then she gave it to me (or I pilfered it, not sure...) and it became one of my favorites. It is a beautiful story that I reread lately for the first time in years, and it still holds so much meaning and so many new nuances that I never saw before. If you haven't, you need to read this book!

Last thing to write about, then I hafta go: I found a fortune a couple of days ago while I was cleaning my desk. I sometimes save the fortunes from fortune cookies (yeah, no moneys, don't get excited) if i think they're particularly clever. This one was the best I've ever seen, & it's the note I shall leave you with today. Ponder the wisdom of it & enrich your life!

"If you bite the hand that feeds you, it won't taste as good as the food you were fed."

No comments:

Post a Comment