Friday, October 25, 2013

The Hunt

Just a warning, the writing took a bit of a dark turn today. :) Have fun?

~*~

It's there, just like always. I can feel it watching me.
Just out of the corner of my eye.
I turn my head to look at it full on, but--
Woish
It's gone.
But not far, just out of sight.
It's waiting.

It's always there,
Stalking,
Following,
Waiting.
I can feel its appetite, its hunger.
It wants to devour ... my very essence of who I am.
It won't ever stop.
It's so hungry.

I'm never sure what keeps it away.
If I knew, maybe I could always do it.
I'm never sure what drops my guard, and allows it to
Pounce.
If I did,
I would never let it happen.
But it does,
And it pounces,
It rips,
And tears,
And chews,
And laughs.
I still feel the scars from the last time.

The laughter is the worst.
The hopeless despair
That laughter causes
Is worse than the teeth that consume.
It chuckles even now,
Knowing, hearing my frightened heart pounding.

I don't know if escape can be had.
I don't know if a difference can be made.
Will it shy away if
I'm not alone in my fight?
Will it lose me if
I run forever?
Is there anything
That can kill this
Creature that thirsts for my life?

My weapon is heavy in my hand.
It sings a soothing lullaby,
But it's not sleep it beckons me toward.

Grit, determination, stubbornness, even pride,
All these keep me from falling
To its every attack.
Too gritty to chew,
Too determined to win and not fail,
Too stubborn to allow it to succeed,
Too proud to admit defeat.
If it can use my strengths against me,
I can use my flaws against it.

~*~

That was actually kind of fun. Well, it was for me. ;) Thanks for sticking around! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment