Saturday, December 11, 2010

To draw, you must close your eyes and sing. --Picasso

I like drawing. I like singing too...

Wow, it's been a while since I've posted on here... a whole, what, four days now? Yikes, sorry about that everyone! May I beg your indulgence & we can hope together that such a travesty will never occur again? (I like that word, "travesty", it's a cool word...)

First order of business: welcome new follower! I know it's kind of ... well, it's a little ... bah, I lost the word I was looking for. I don't want to use "obsessive", because that's not quite what I mean, but it will have to do for now. But that's kind of how I feel when I find myself rejoicing over every new follower. :) Followers: you make me feel all warm & fuzzy inside, like a reassurance that someone actually reads these ramblings I have the audacity to call writing. :D I love you all! And I hope to never leave you bored with what I write!

So let's see, I haven't posted since the 7th, today is the 11th (as of 48 minutes ago...), that makes 4 days I haven't written about. What's been going on in my life?

Well, I have a confession to make. I have spent more of those four days playing games than I ever want to admit. One of my faults is that I tend to be a slightly obsessive person--especially when it comes to stupid, time-sucking Facebook games. I found two a couple of days ago that have proved to be veritable crack-dens. (Does that phrase make sense? Does it have to? You get my point, right? ... Hello?) I shan't name names, but I'm fearful of what they mean for my future.

My rational/pessimistic self tells me that I'm still in the denial phase of addiction, while the rest of myself tells me that I'm a better manager of my time now, and can allow myself to indulge in a couple of frivolous moments. The mind needs an outlet to unwind with! Besides, I haven't actually played them THAT much, just 10 more minutes then I'll go to bed...

But no worries, I will not post pictures, updates of how such games are progressing, or any other such nonsense on either Facebook or this blog (I seize up every time I have to type that word... :P). I am properly ashamed of my... non-addiction... ;)

Anyhoo, enough about games, what else shall I write about tonight, hmmm...

I had a dream the other night that was rather entertaining--it was my first venture into the realm of cognizant dreams! At least, I think that's what they're called.

I was dreaming that I was in a large city, I don't remember exactly what happened--I think something happened that should have hurt/killed me, but I escaped unscathed--but I was suddenly confronted with the thought "oh, this is a dream, that's all right then." Then, "Wait, this is a dream, that means I can do whatever I want--I'm in control!!"

Brief historical segue: I had heard of cognizant dreams twice before this occurrence, which is how I thought to enter into one... I think. Once was when a friend of mine told me about his; he would shrink or grow objects with a mere sweep of his hands. The other was in a book I read, a boy therein could control his dreams and he went flying in them every night.

I opted with the choice of flying. :) I found myself soaring above the city, the clouds, and swooping wherever I chose. Oddly enough though, my flight tended to wobble--as if my mind (as per usual in my dreamstate) tended to wander, and my flight was only as steady as my thoughts.

After a while I got bored, so I landed & tried to think up something interesting to do. I conjured up a lion to ride on, then (ever preoccupied with the sky) I gave it a pair of magnificent white wings. We flew far (the lion was much steadier than I'd been alone), to Hawaii! The islands were much smaller in my dream, I could hop from one to the other. Also, they seemed to be populated by ancient Egyptians--but only a handful, due to the smallness of the islands. Upon landing I discovered that my lion had actually been one of these Egyptians, and there was a very interesting and magical feud taking place. Suddenly my dream was taking on a multiplicity of nuances--then I woke up.

As always, I don't even bother interpreting, but these things do make for fun stories! :)

I've been writing on scripts lately too--though deviating perhaps from the editing I'm supposed to be doing... A couple of entertaining ideas have popped up in conversation with a writer/director friend & I feel compelled to pursue them. To give you a glimpse of the idea: imagine what life would be like if we lived with a barter system. Now, imagine an actor going out to dinner. What do they pay with? Would they perform a monologue? Give the other patrons & the staff "dinner and a show"?

Now, what if two actors were going out to dinner at such a place? & both thought they were supposed to be paying, so they planned ahead with this restaurant? It could be funny... :)

Hmmm, I feel kind of sorry. Some major stuff in life has been happening in the last couple of days. There've been a crisis or two, a major meltdown, some rash calls made, a couple of huge decisions that turned out to be rather easy to make, and some other mental stuff that's been going on. All of that is partly the reason I actually haven't written anything here since that Day that will Live Forever in Infamy (incidentally, the day before my grandmother's anniversary to her second husband--she wanted to get married on Dec. 7th, but Dad & his brothers laughed her out of that idea, so she went with the 8th instead). Unfortunately I still can't write about most of it, because I'm either not done with it yet, or it's just not something I feel comfortable putting online for anyone to read.

Sorry all!

Wow, that's a bit of a downer. Let's end this post on a better note than that, shall we?

Something that happened today: My nephew is four years old, goes by the name Aaron (among others), and is an adorably sweet brat (don't worry, brat is a term of endearment in my family). He has an instinctive & uncanny ability to charm anyone with even a fraction of a heart--made of ice. I don't know how he does it, but I know he's going to be a heart-breaker in middle school. But today the little guy made a(nother) trip to the emergency room.

Mind you, I heard & I wasn't too worried. He's practically got his own room in there, I wouldn't be surprised if they knew him by sight. Especially since one of the last times he visited the esteemed medical community it was because he got a toilet seat stuck around his neck. Yep, he stuck his head through it, then couldn't get it off. It took two hours to complete a five-minute procedure (sawing through the seat) because that's how long it took the doctors to clear the room!

But today the operation was of a different kind. Today the prank was sticking a jellybean a smidge further up his nose than was retrievable. Oops!

See, nothing to worry about with him. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment