Friday, December 3, 2010

Cleverly Disguised as a Responsible Adult

Alright fine, maybe my disguise isn't so clever... :P It seems like it's rather easy to see through, hm... :D

I discovered--or rather, I reaffirmed--something about myself today. I am not a "scrappy" person. And I don't mean the kind of scrappy that picks/wins fights (I haven't had the opportunity to test that one), I mean the kind that stamps, cuts, punches, and glitters all kinds of cool stuff & makes scrapbooks & cards & the like out of it in some mystical & mysterious manner. I am not one of them.

I can do many things that are deemed "artistic"... I can paint, draw, sketch (is there a difference there?), sing, act, write, poemize, and all sorts of other things. But for some strange reason the sight of all the crafty tools used for making epic home-made cards that defy anyone to call them home-made--for all my creativity I simply draw a blank. Not that it's not cool to look at, there's all kinds of nifty gadgets invented for the sole purpose of glittering, cutting, making shapes in paper, and such. I just can't think of anything to do with them.

I was reawakened to this quirk about myself at a church ladies scrappy... thing... that occurred this evening. I originally didn't even want to go (what am I going to do there?), but my dear Mum was organizing the shindig, and told me that 1) there would be plenty of stuff for me to be able to get by without bringing anything (not being a scrapper, I have zip supplies for it--it's expensive!!), 2) both of my sisters & my niece would be in attendance, so we could all have a nice "girls' night" (this elevates the shindig to the status of FAMILY stuff, and FAMILY stuff is IMPORTANT and missing such an IMPORTANT event is considered a travesty, even if the Mum DID say "you don't really have to go"...ha), and 3) that I didn't have to go, but she really wanted me to try it out (aka "you have no reason not to come, if you don't show there will be trouble"--you know that look & tone? Yep, it was there...).

I love my Mum, & cherish our close relationship. So I did the right thing & went! ;) And she was very gracious about the whole thing. After wandering around aimlessly in a vain attempt to stimulate some semblance of inspiration, I told her I was bored & going home. She just smiled & said ok! So I promptly fled the premises, leaving all of those dear, wonderful, crazy creative people to their paperworkings. :)

On a separate note, the last couple of days have been refreshingly vibrant. I've been going through a bit of a slump for the last couple of weeks, but in the last two or three days that seems to have been washed away. I love times like this; I feel more productive, happy, closer to God, more of a joy to those around me--it's like everything in life has a new depth of color I couldn't see before.

I don't know how long it will last, but I'm enjoying it to the fullest while it's here!

One of my new/temporary favorite songs (they're always temporarily my favorite... don't think about that one too hard...) is the one that was performed last on the most recent episode of Glee (please don't hate me, yes I watch that show). It's called "Dog Days Are Over", and was originally performed by Florence and the Machine. The interpretations of the lyrics are many & varied, ranging from her grandmother's suicide to escaping an abusive relationship.

My personal opinion on dissecting art is that art is like a frog. So much can be learned from observation, but if you start cutting it to pieces it's dead & not coming back for you. So as far as this song goes, I love it, it means something to me, you should listen to it! I have no idea what it "really" means, or what the artist "originally intended". If you want to know that, look elsewhere. :)

I think one of my favorite lines is the first: "Happiness hit her like a train on a track"... call me sadistic, but the picture makes me smile... :) I think it's because I've been there, but it might just be because I'm a bit of a bad person sometimes... you pick! :)

Anyhoo, typing the correct spelling for words is getting more difficult, as is forming sentences, so I'm heading away for now. Later all!

No comments:

Post a Comment