Thursday, September 1, 2011

"No Broken Bones. Slight Loss of Dignity. No Change There Then."

--Doctor Who, who'd you think it would be? :)

Look! I'm Back! I haven't fallen off the edge of the planet or lost my password to this blog or anything else... though it felt like that at times, to be sure... :) So much has happened since last time I posted, I'm not sure I can fit it all into one post--but we'll give it a go. Besides, if I can't, that just means I have more material for more posts, yeah? :)

Let's see, the last post was June 15th, & I was waiting to hear back about the cast-list for Macbeth... well that actually turned out to be a funny story, let me tell you about it... duh I'm going to tell you about it. That would be kind of mean, wouldn't it. "This is a blog where I ramble about life. This thing happened to me and it was hysterical, but I'm not telling that story, let me recount this hugely boring waste of time to you instead."... sounds like something I would do, actually. But don't worry! I won't this time, promise! :)

I didn't make it into Macbeth, but I have to say, the phone call from Peter (the director) was probably the kindest rejection I've ever had--and I've had a few. I did, however, go to the acting classes that Peter & James invited me to--they lasted for 6 weeks and met every Saturday, Sunday, and Monday for the duration of those weeks. More on those later.

I'll freely admit, I managed to hold it together pretty well while I was on the phone getting the news, but as soon as I hung up ("hung up" the phone, it sounds like so much more than the tap of the screen that was actually involved) I retreated to my room and had a quiet little cry. But I still felt drawn to the show--it was a gut feeling that I've only felt a few times in life, and I've learned it usually means God is trying to tell me something so I should shut up and listen. Thankfully, this time I did. The conversation went something like this:

Me: Well, I guess that one just wasn't Your will for me. I'll just hafta go audition some more for other shows. I really wanted to be involved with that company though--and Shakespeare! I would love to do that show.
God: Yeah, I want you in that show too. So get to it already.
Me: But they didn't cast me. *sneaking suspicion that something nasty is around the corner*
God: So?
Me: SO how am I s'posed to be involved in the show when they don't want me? *Suspicion grows*
God: They don't want you to ACT. You've been involved in plenty of shows that you didn't act in.
Me: But, but, but... I don't want to!!! I don't LIKE stage managing, and that's the only other thing they need for this show! Boy do they ever need it, too... I mean, no! I don't want to!
God: If you can get involved in some other way, go for it. But I want you in that production.
Me: Can't I just go audition for other people? I came up here to ACT for cryin' out sideways!
God: You can, but I want you here.
Me: *grumble grumble* FINE! I'll go to class on Saturday and take my tech resume with me. They've probably already found an SM anyway and won't need me for that either. If You want me in that production, You'll have to take it from there!
God: Oh don't worry, I will. *smirk*

And He did. Saturday after class I asked Peter if he'd found a stage manager yet as I pulled out my resume, and I don't think I even had the sentence completely out of my mouth before he pounced. "You want to be my stage manager?!" And there it was.

Turns out the company didn't have a light designer for the show either, so guess what else I did for the show? :)

Just so you can fully appreciate the irony of this situation: I took classes in as much theatre stuff as I could possibly cram into my schedule over the 4 years I went to college. Lighting Design and Stage Management were two that I did NOT take--the former I remedied by shadowing our light designer, and the latter I neglected to take on purpose because I wanted nothing to do with it. When I spoke with a mentor about portfolio building, we discussed the jobs I would qualify for upon entering the "real world" of theatre. "You probably won't get hired for Stage Managing or Lighting Design, just because that's not where your expertise is" he told me.

Yeah... 'bout that... Are you laughing yet? Jesus still is, I'm pretty sure. :P

Alrighty, I'm taking a break here, but I'll be back later tonight, no worries. Tata!

No comments:

Post a Comment